Sally here at Small Press Expo with much more to come – but also some comics news from beyond these hotel walls…!
Small Press Expo begins tomorrow! The Comics Workbook crew has arrived a bit early, and we’re taking today to finish plotting our workshops (full details on the workshops can be found HERE), and lay claim to a corner of the hotel restaurant. Tomorrow, find us at table N9 in the exhibitor’s hall, alongside the likes of Jim Rugg, and Andrew White, or downstairs in the official workshop space – the Glen Echo Room.
I’m excited to encounter the great lineup of Special Guests – including Eleanor Davis, Jillian Tamaki, Ann Telnaes, Tillie Walden, Emil Ferris, Hannah K. Lee, Sloane Leong, Gabrielle Bell, Janet Lee, and Anais Depommier – plus many more!
Between a terrific programming schedule, an Exhibitor’s hall packed with talent, the always exciting Ignatz Awards (presented by Caitlin McGurk!), and the gathered comics rabble, it’s sure to be a fun weekend. We will be reporting on the show via the Comics Workbook Instagram feed – @comicsworkbook. Live vicariously, or perhaps we’ll see you there.
Elsewhere in the comics world…(mostly)
- Lynda Barry suspects that smartphones are hampering creativity by inhibiting boredom, loneliness, and and uncertainty – get into her head and maybe take what she says to heart – HERE on Open Culture.
- Sara Lautman writes about being an Ignatz Awards juror this year – includes mini reviews of 10 of her picks – read about it HERE.
- I (Sally Ingraham) was interviewed on The Comics Beat earlier this week – part of The SPX Interview series put together by Philippe Leblanc – read about my teaching, and thoughts on drawing Suzy & Cecil HERE.
- Sophia Foster-Dimino is on the most recent Inkstuds – listen to it HERE.
- Katie Skelly on Artist Spotlight: Beyond the Longbox Episode 8 – here’s the “A-side“, and here’s the “B-side“.
- Vanesa Del Rey‘s sketchbook collection, published by Comics Workbook last December, is reviewed as a Staff Pick at Orbital – read about The Art of Vanesa R. Del Rey here.
- Creative Women’s Circle talks with Mirranda Burton, an Australian print maker and cartoonist – HERE.
- The Comic Art Workshop 2017, a residency for comics makers in Jogja, Indonesia, takes place this October. This residency is specifically for emerging artists from Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia, and this autumn it will feature the assistance of Sarah Glidden and Sonny Liew. Keep it in mind if you are a cartoonist from the Asian-Pacific part of the world – the next residency will take place in 2019.
- If your SPX shopping list still needs some added suggestions, here’s a list from Just Indie Comics of 10 debut works – including new comics by Comics Workbook alumni Andrew White, Warren Craighead, and Connor Willumsen.
- GG‘s new comic from Koyama Press – I’m Not Here – is previewed and reviewed on the A.V. Club.
- Here’s a comic by Katie Fricas on The New Yorker – The Smells of Capitalism.
- Rob Clough made a list of 10 artists to check out out at SPX, and most of them are women – check it out HERE.
Suzy and Cecil – 9-15-2017 – by Gabriella Tito